8 Reasons to Swim More!
There’s nothing quite like diving into a swimming pool on a scorching hot day, gliding through the water, light as a feather, with all noises peacefully hushed. Wait, this does get better. Not only is swimming a lovely way to relax, but it’s also a great way to work out! The only thing you’ll regret about swimming exercises is not starting sooner!
Let’s explore the range of benefits of swimming!
- It’s great for people of all ages! Swimming is a skill that can be learned at a very young age, giving parents an awesome way to bond with children. Elderly folks enjoy classes that allow them to exercise without added pressure and strain to the body. This type of exercise also reduces the risk of the elderly falling and sustaining injuries.
- Swimming is a way for people who have injuries to get their exercise in! When recovering from an injury, you’ve gotta play it safe. That’s why people resort to a low-impact sport like swimming after sustaining injuries. The water supports our muscles as well as 90% of our weight.
- Swimming supports lung function by teaching you how to control your breathing. Also, breathing techniques while swimming can increase lung capacity.
- It’s a full body workout! According to Medical News Today, the act of swimming requires cooperation from almost every major muscle group. While you swim, you use both your arms and legs as well as your torso and abdominals.
- There’s something all forms of exercise have in common: exercise releases endorphins! Endorphins are the “happy chemicals” in our brains, which boosts our mood once released!
- If you’re a calorie counter, swimming is the sport for you! Swimming is one of the most effective ways to burn calories.
- When swimming, you don’t have to worry about deodorant marks and embarrassing sweat stains. As you’re constantly cooled off by the water, body odor is no longer you main concern while working out! Swimming is no sweat (literally!)
- It’s FUN! Feeling weightless as the water supports you is priceless.
Check with your local public pool or gym to see what kind of affordable memberships are available for you!